What method or technique would work, for me, to be able to retain the volume and complexity of information that we are exposed to...? I just do not like letting details get past me. I feel like it is firehose volume learning.
My love of learning seems to have some conditions. Why are some concepts so easy to grasp and others just not so? Is it the method of learning? Could the speed/volume/jargon or even the subjective interest in the subject matter make the difference? There are some things I have a true heartfelt interest in, and others are a passing fancy. Hmm.
Taking a step back, I believe that (more/better) sleep might be helpful in my state of readiness to learn, and ability to absorb more. The stress of the seemingly daunting tasks before me, regardless of the reassuring encouragement;"You'll do fine... you are very intelligent... this should be no problem for you... don't over think it..." It all falls flat when I am tired, a bit overwhelmed, and trying to concentrate in a time constrained and very distracting environment.
I will often hear my own discouraging words, "I am not cut out for this." "I am trying." "How will I ever remember all of this?" "What is wrong with me?" "My heart is not in it."
I am going to give "More Sleep" a try... (First things first)
Next will be . . . hmm.
I am not sure at the moment.
Perhaps: To study longer hours with breaks, notes, and quiet time to read (and understand this stuff.)
THink Positive! Be Positive. Find additional outlets for physical exercise.
More on this later...
What do I love?
Platitudes like "you'll be fine!" aren't that helpful -- remember that 99% of success is showing up and so a plan of attack could include ideas on how you can fit more studying in and also more sleep. Sleep is absolutely essential -- there's something physiological about how the brain absorbs information; it just cannot do as well if not well-rested. And well-fed & well-exercised. They also say if you eat while studying, that can also help with retaining information, as is reading just before going to sleep (the information "seats" as you sleep).
ReplyDeleteIf you feel like it, I'd love to see a blog post of plans of attack, like what kind of schedule or routine feels like it would be good for you. Be kind to yourself too, you're getting into a rhythm now and it will get easier as you go along. :)