Thursday, September 27, 2012

What difference a day makes

After a long and semi-productive day at work, an evening of class lecture, and an uneventful commute to and from each, I called home to speak with my wife.

We had a normal conversation, I listened to the events of her day and as I listened and responded and asked questions... everything seemed so normal. Positive.  I asked if she was in a good mood. She responded with, "an Okay mood."

I even took out a list of questions that I had written the other day, when I was feeling self-piteous and a bit depressed.  None of the questions seemed apropos and there was no good segue to be made. 

Oh and looking at the clock, it was a few minutes after 11 pm when we started talking and by the time I thought I could have transitioned into other, more personal, subjects it was 11:30 pm.  There is no way that I was going to delve into emotional issues after 11:30 on a weeknight. 

One would think that a conversation such as the one that I had intended should be in person.  The strange thing is that she and I have longer conversations on Skype or the telephone in the last 13 years than we have ever had in person.

I will have to re-write some of these questions, and consider more fully her position.

Strange, to think that I would need to prepare for a conversation with my wife, but to be unprepared, or less prepared, I will certainly forget something I wanted to ask or work on with her...

Till tomorrow then.

1 comment:

  1. It makes sense, actually. Another friend of mine said he & his wife had an easier time online chatting about honest issues and so they would often do this even while in the same house. It's not easy to have in-depth conversations about heavy stuff. It's nice though that you're thinking of her and taking time/etc. into consideration. Care is often noticed.

    ReplyDelete