Thursday, September 6, 2012

A Tendency to Wait...or is it Procrastinate?

The need to worry, stress, feel anxious, and then become overwhelmed is often postponed to the last minute as, you know, it might just resolve itself, work out and defuse/dissipate before I get it in the face/gut/ass and other sensitive areas that would decidedly hurt very much; Metaphorically, of course.

Tests do not truly phase me until just moments before they begin, or are to be turned in... Why the self doubt?  Is my own intelligence an obstacle?  To "know enough to be dangerous" is just part of being a self described Jack-of-Trades, and I wonder if I will ever be able to master something. I think now that it is a matter of me letting  myself decide to take the time and energy to master something.

Another possible obstacle is the fact that I have interests in so many many many different things; Many of which that are interrelated (i.e. Science, Nature, Art, Food/Nutrition, Psychology, Philosophy, Engineering, Literature (Fiction and Non), History, Geography and Biology.)

I have often envied those that had a dream, a laser like focus on what they really want to do.  Build on strengths and mastery of a certain (few) subjects.  Many of my friends do incredibly well as their expertise serves them well.

My generalist tendencies spread me a bit thin at times.

As my life is due to make some changes in the near future, I try to prepare, try to worry, and yet I have not enough information to go on, to act.  I can make a plan, cross my fingers, and work in a direction...

- Remember the plan, focus on the present, and have an eye on the horizon, then. . . try to do it all well.

2 comments:

  1. This is me! A generalist!!

    I still do think that can serve us though, in some way we have not yet discovered.

    Doing it well is admirable, yes, but trying is the most admirable thing of all even if the results are not as we hoped. Don't forget that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will have to use generalist, with your permission, as there is at times a stigma to Jack-of-Trades. Motorhead and their Ace-of-Spades... No, just the inevitable ..."Master of None" that is always tacked on.

      I believe being a generalist has served me well at times when the folks seem like they are fumbling with something out of their (narrow little) element, I fall into or "get roped into" projects that I show "some" (and I mean 'some' as in 'not alot') aptitude for and many just feel uncomfortable taking the time to delve into...

      Delete